Monday, December 31, 2012

Just a Thought

Before they came, I was free.
From stone age to bronze age to the Vedic period, Peace and Knowledge prevailed on all.
There were saints, sages, scholars...........and Human Values.
Those who lived had all the wealth - health and happiness. More importantly, I was safe ..... I was free.
I was in my prime and it was my golden time.
And then they came, one by one, disguised as friends.....but only to loot.
Persians were the first, sometime in 550 BC. Then it was the Greeks who followed.
And a race began.....
Romans......Mughals......Portuguese......Dutch......British......French, they all arrived in their own style.
I was captured, abused, raped, cut into pieces, looted, cheated, vandalized by everyone.....one by one.
And soon the wealth was gone, the saints and scholars diminished, my safety at risk, and my freedom no more.
When they took all they could, their greed satisfied, they left me and I became happy for a while. They said I was free.
But that was not to be!
They are gone, but now its my very own, my dear ones who loot, cheat, kill, abuse, misuse power, become corrupt, rape me.....over and over......again and again!
I am your Mother, your Daughter, your Sister, your Guardian......your Country!
"Can we have better Human Values this year?" ....... is what I ask myself every year!

No comments: